[CT Birds] Raven Luna-ticks.. 2021 Big Day!

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Fri May 11 13:58:10 EDT 2012

Dear friends and fellow birders:
As many of you know, the Connecticut Audubon Raven Luna-ticks—NickBonomo, Patrick Dugan, Dave Tripp, Frank Zygmont, and me, Frank Gallo, had anamazing Big Day last year. We broke the New England Big Day record of 191 species,besting Connecticut’sBig Day record by six, with a total of 192 species. It was an amazing day; thesun was shining, and angels, or perhaps barn owls, were singing. Our hard-wonvictory lasted an entire week, when friends from Massachusetts topped our record by one. 193is the new record. We should never have told them… Now, we’re rallying foranother run, with the certainty that all that stands in the way of the mystical200 species is the right route on the right day.
Our success has always been in large part due to the generous sharingof sightings by Connecticutbirders. We’re making the attempt this year minus Nick, who is birding in Florida, so now, more than ever, we need your help --your eyes and ears, so we can take back the title, and continue to support theimportant conservation and education work done by Connecticut Audubon’s Coastal Center at Milford Point.
Once again, we are seeking information on the specific whereaboutsof lingering waterfowl such as, loons, grebes, coots, moorhens, any sea/divingduck, especially scaup, goldeneye, Bufflehead, scoters, Red-breasted Merganser,eider, lingering wigeon, pintail, etc., and uncommon nesting ducks such asCommon and Hooded Mergansers, and Gadwall, and Blue- and Green-winged Teal. Boththe bitterns, Pied-billed Grebe, and rail locations, especially for Sora andKing, are greatly appreciated.
Locations for less-common nesting birds, such as BeltedKingfisher, Cliff Swallow, Hairy Woodpecker (yes, Hairy Woodpecker), WinterWren, Dark-eyed Junco, White-throated Sparrow, White-eyed Vireo (anywhere), nestingwarblers such as, Golden-winged, Kentucky, Yellow-throated, Magnolia,Nashville, and Cerulean (especially out east), and Yellow-breasted Chat(especially west of CT River), are needed.
Nest locations for Barn, Saw-whet, and Long-eared owls, MississippiKite, harrier, Bald Eagle, kestrel, Red-shouldered, Broad-winged,Sharp-shinned, Cooper’s, and Goshawk are ALWAYS needed.
Sites for all species need to be close to a road, as time constraintsdo not allow long treks into the woods. If there are any nests that are bestleft unpublicized, please contact me directly with directions, at Peeplo at aol.com. We are verycareful not to disturb nesting raptors or any other species.
Obviously, there are many other less-common migrants and nestingspecies that would be of value to us such as, reliable sites for RustyBlackbird, Lincoln’s and White-crowned Sparrows, Common Nighthawk, Red-headedWoodpecker, Grasshopper Sparrow, Upland Sandpiper, Horned Lark, or even BlueGrosbeak or Clay-colored Sparrow. Updates on the Harris’s Sparrow, and a dependablelocation for Black Skimmer would be great, as well.
We can never have too many sites for any given species, so pleaselet us know what you’re seeing. The more specific the location, the better, andnests are always welcome!!
This event is used as an important annual fundraiser for the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point.To support our team and the Coastal Center, please visit http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/2012/05/big-day-2012.html to download a pledgeform. There is also a link to view our blog posting of last year’s BigDay run. If you have questions, please contact me by e-mail or at 203-878-7440 x 501.

We thank you for your continued generosity and support.
Frank Gallo, Director,
Connecticut Audubon CoastalCenter
1 Milford Point  Road, Milford 06460

Life is short. Bird often.