[CT Birds] Rosa Hartman+

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 11 23:16:03 EDT 2012

Renee Baade and I started at Rosa Hartman Park (Stamford) and Laddins Rock Sanctuary (Old Greenwich) this morning.  Not being familiar with the area we entered from Laddins Rock, which quickly got us a Northern Waterthrush we would have missed if we came in the front way.  The highlight was a male Bay-breasted Warbler seen from the Rosa Hartman parking lot after we ran into Jim Dugan who told us of Brenda Inskeep's earlier sighting in that spot.  (Jim seemed especially taken by that bird.)  I had 15 warbler species there (Renee may have had another one or two) including Nashville Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler.  Other notables included Brown Thrasher, Least Flycatcher, Great-crested Flycatcher and a Cuckoo sp.  Many Swainson's Thrushes in the woods.

Our second stop was Birdcraft Sanctuary in Fairfield.  The morning was getting late and birding was getting slow, but another Northern Waterthrush and a Canada Warbler were a couple of the nicer looks.

After lunch we birded Ninety Acres Park (aka Veterans Memorial Park) in Bridgeport.  We were surprised by the level of activity in the early afternoon.  In particular a very large oak that we guessed was hosting some sort of tasty bugs kept us watching it for maybe an hour or so.  A Chestnut-sited Warbler had us confused for a good while with an atypical song until finally seen, after which it reverted to a recognizable one.  (Renee heard a Tennessee Warbler I missed.)

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT