[CT Birds] Northeast corner goodies

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat May 12 17:08:15 EDT 2012

Things that do not make me go GRRRR ....

>From Jamie Meyers:
5/12 -- Mansfield -- male LAWRENCE'S WARBLER.  The bird was along a powerline cut reached via a path  south of the road about 1/4 west of Mansfield Hollow Lake.  This path goes down to one of the lakes.
Windham, Windham Airport -- EASTERN MEADOWLARK singing and showing well near the beginning of the dike trail.
Brookyln, in farm near Canterbury town line on CT 169 -- EASTERN MEADOWLARK in large already hayed farm field along with a bunch of Bobolinks.  Orchard Orioles were across the street.  Several WORM-EATING WARBLERS were duking it out in the woods just north of this site.
Scotland -- Pudding Hill WMA -- HOODED WARBLER near the beginning of the mail trail.  ACADIAN FLYCATCHER singing deep in the woods in approximately the same spot.
Canterbury -- farm off CT 169 -- PURPLE MARTINS in a house where I had them a number of years ago.  A couple years ago the house was infested with starlings and House Sparrows so it's nice to see them back.
Chaplin -- Pumpkin Hill Road -- CERULEAN WARBLER, as previously reported by others.
Canton yard (Meyers Wildlife Sanctuary) -- adult WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW

Add the two life butterflies I got on the CT Butterfly Association walk and today was pretty darn good.  If you don't love this time of year check yourself for a pulse.

For the record, I should add a very late drake Ring-necked Duck on Bristol Res 7 yesterday afternoon.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT