[CT Birds] Nehantic Forest, Gungy Rd, Hartman Park: Acadian and Least Flycatchers, Cerulean Warbler, Broad-winged Hawk

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sat May 12 17:58:03 EDT 2012

I was off to another late start today but had a great day at the E. Lyme portion of Nehantic SF, Gungy Rd powercut, just north of Hartman Park, and Hartman Park, Lyme.

Highlights of each spot and then after that a list of other notable birds.  The best moment for me today was not a birding one but was when a Lynx came out on the trail just a few feet ahead of me in Nehantic Forest.

Nehantic SF, E. Lyme, Grassy Hill Rd.:

First entrance, the one with the yellow bar across it:

ACADIAN FLYCATCHER just as you enter
Louisiana Waterthrush

Second entrance a bit further along on Grassy Hill Rd, no yellow bar, but a  brown sign on the right of the dirt road:

CERULEAN WARBLER
Worm-eating Warbler
Both Waterthrushes
Veery

Gungy Rd (Lyme/Salem border):

BROAD-WINGED HAWK
Prairie Warbler
Blue-winged Warbler
Yellow-throated Vireo
Field Sparrow
Rose-breasted Grosbeak

But no Yellow-billed Cuckoo which I have every year here.  perhaps it is a bit early but it seems like cuckoos have started coming thru.  Also no White-eyed Vireo which I am accustomed to having in this spot.

Hartman Park, Lyme:

LEAST FLYCATCHER
Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Yellow-throated Vireo

It was 3 PM when I arrived at Hartman and I was hoping to see or hear a Cerulean, but did not.
According to the chalk board which lists species of the day, Cerulean was seen earlier today.
I unfortunately did not have time to check out the trail where I have had good luck in the past finding an Acadian Flycatcher, but I am very happy with the great looks that I had of my Nehantic Forest one in the morn.

other birds to mention:

Warbling Vireos, Red-eyed Vireos, Ovenbirds, Redstarts singing everywhere
Pileated Woodpecker
Red-shouldered Hawk
E. Bluebird
Chimney Swift
Lots of Great-crested Flycatchers
E. Phoebe
many Yellow Warblers and C. Yellowthroats
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Baltimore Orioles
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrows