[CT Birds] 5/12, 5/13 - Fairfield Birding

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun May 13 10:40:52 EDT 2012

Yesterday, Dave Hursh and I spent the day scouting out a number of
locations in Fairfield in anticipation for our upcoming Fairfield Big Day.
We found every spot to be very birdy and ended up recording 87 species on
the day including 20 wood-warbler species. I later joked that we should've
run the big day that day, as we needed but 20 easy coastal species to
surpass last year's total. Highlights below:

>From Alex Burdo and Dave Hursh:
05/12/12 - Fairfield Yard -- 3 Gray Catbird, 1 Ovenbird, 1 Black-and-white
Warbler, 1 Nashville Warbler, 1 American Redstart, 2 Northern Parula, 1
Magnolia Warbler, 1 Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1 Prairie Warbler, 1
Scarlet Tanager
Fairfield, Larsen Sanctuary -- 61 species including 4 Wood Duck, 2
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, 1 Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 3 Eastern Phoebe, 9
Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 Eastern Kingbird, 1 Yellow-throated Vireo, 3
Warbling Vireo, 27 Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Blue-gray Gnatctcher, 12 Veery, 10
SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 14 Wood Thrush, 15 Gray Catbird, 9 Ovenbird, 4 LOUISIANA
WATERTHRUSH, 2 Northern Waterthrush, 3 Blue-winged Warbler, 1
Black-and-white Warbler, 23 Common Yellowthroat, 17 American Redstart, 14
Northern Parula, 4 Magnolia Warbler, 5 Yellow Warbler, 13 Black-throated
Blue Warbler, 4 Yellow-rumped Warbler, 13 Black-throated Green Warbler, 1
Eastern Towhee, 3 Swamp Sparrow, 5 Scarlet Tanager, 2 Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, 7 Baltimore Oriole, 1 ORCHARD ORIOLE
Fairfield, Land Around Hemlock Reservoir -- 2 Wild Turkey, 1 Eastern
Phoebe, 3 Eastern Kingbird, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 32 CLIFF SWALLOW, 1 Wood
Thrush, 8 Gray Catbird, 3 Common Yellowthroat, 1 American Redstart, 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler, 5 Pine Warbler, 4 Eastern Towhee, 1 Swamp Sparrow
Fairfield, Lake Mohegan -- We only covered a small portion of Lake Mohegan,
mainly just the forest around the former Lake Residence; 38 species
including 1 Cooper's Hawk, 1 Great Crested Flycatcher, 1 WHITE-EYED VIREO,
1 Blue-headed Vireo, 5 Warbling Vireo, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Veery, 3 Wood
Thrush, 15 Gray Catbird, 1 Ovenbird, 1 Blue-winged Warbler, 2
Black-and-white Warbler, 15 American Redstart, 1 Northern Parula, 1
Magnolia Warbler, 1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, 9 Yellow Warbler, 3 Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, 6 Baltimore Oriole
Fairfield, Oak Lawn Cemetary -- 1 Wood Duck, 2 Green Heron, 1 Eastern
Kingbird, 6 Warbling Vireo, 3 Red-eyed Vireo, 1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 1
SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 1 Gray Catbird, 1 American Redstart, 2 Yellow Warbler, 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler, 2 Rose-breasted Grosbeak, 2 Baltimore Oriole
Fairfield, Perry's Mill Ponds -- 5 Black-crowned Night-Heron, 1 Eastern
Kingbird, 5 Warbling Vireo, 4 Red-eyed Vireo, 3 Wood Thrush, 6 Gray
Catbird, 1 Common Yellowthroat, 1 American Redstart, 4 Baltimore Oriole
Fairfield, Birdcraft Sanctuary -- 1 Black-crowned Night-Heron, 2 Eastern
Phoebe, 3 Warbling Vireo, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 2 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 1 Wood
Thrush, 28 Gray Catbird, 1 Ovenbird, 1 Worm-eating Warbler, 2 Northern
Waterthrush, 1 Black-and-white Warbler, 5 Common Yellowthroat, 9 American
Redstart, 2 Northern Parula, 3 Magnolia Warbler, 1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, 1
Chesnut-sided Warbler, 8 Black-throated Blue Warbler, 2 Black-throated
Green Warbler, 1 Canada Warbler, 2 Swamp Sparrow, 1 Baltimore Oriole

>From Alex Burdo and James Purcell:
05/13/12 - Fairfield, Birdcraft Sanctuary -- 1 Eastern Phoebe, 1 Warbling
Vireo, 1 Red-eyed Vireo, 3 Veery, 1 SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 1 Wood Thrush, 28
Gray Catbird, 2 Ovenbird, 1 Northern Waterthrush, 1 Black-and-white
Warbler, 1 Common Yellowthroat, 12 American Redstart, 3 Northern Parula, 2
Magnolia Warbler, 1 BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER, 1 Chesnut-sided Warbler, 4
Black-throated Blue Warbler, 1 Canada Warbler, 1 Eastern Towhee, 2
Baltimore Oriole

Overall, just an incredible weekend! To learn more about the Fairfield Big
Day, follow this link:
http://floridascrubjay.wordpress.com/support-the-fairfield-big-day/

Alex Burdo
Fairfield