[CT Birds] WT Buy: Swarovski/Kowa Spotting Scope

Robert DeCandido PhD rdcny at earthlink.net
Mon May 14 13:29:23 EDT 2012

Does anyone have a fine shape spotting scope made by Swarovski, Kowa,
Nikon or Zeiss - and wants to sell?

I ask because my colleagues in Nepal are in desperate need of one for
a long-term migration study of Steppe Eagles and other raptors in the
foothills of the Himalayan Mountains - see photos here:

double-clicking on most of the photos will enlarge them
significantly. This watch site gets the greatest number of Steppe
Eagles in the world - as well as up to 6 species of globally
endangered vultures such as Red-headed Vulture, White-rumped - and
others including Lammergeier and Black (Cinereous) Vulture. Nepal is
also one of the poorest nations on earth.

Anyway, we have raised modest funds to purchase a spotting scope - we
need the 80mm version or larger. We also need a zoom eyepiece in the
(approx) 20-60x range. My colleagues will use your scope to age
Steppe Eagles (first-year, 2nd, etc.) - so they need to see distant
details. The scope will be used in rough terrain (and conditions) for
the next several years - that is why we are seeking high quality optics.

Send me an email with what you have and what your best sell price
would be. Your scope would do wonders for science and scientists, the
conservation of Asian raptors, and our knowledge of raptor migration
on the Indian subcontinent.

Robert DeCandido PhD