[CT Birds] Blue-winged x Golden-winged Hybrids

Tom de Boor tomdb2 at aol.com
Mon May 14 19:51:15 EDT 2012

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about Blue-winged x
Golden-winged hybrids.  Naturally, as soon as I speculated that the hybrids
did not set up territories as readily as the purebreds, a recessive, the
Lawrence's, set up shop in Greenwich!  And on Sunday morning when my son
and I traveled to the center, it was literally the first bird we saw,
flying up onto a dead twig on a small tree 10 feet in front of us as soon
as we got out of the car and started walking into the hawk watch area, then
burst into a wispy Blue-winged song. It shortly flew off and we spent some
time exploring further in, where we found it hanging out with what appeared
to be a female Blue-winged that, in turn, appeared to be gathering nesting
material.  There were points where we thought we were seeing more than one
Lawrence's back there--is that possible?  Anyway, it was great to finally
see one after 40 years of birding (mainly in the Midwest)--thanks again!

Tom de Boor
Branford, CT