[CT Birds] The coast

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Tue May 15 08:07:05 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I scouted the coast a bit this weekend from West Haven to Branford looking for late waterfowl.  Hightlights included 34 Common Loons together off from Jimmy's of Savin Rock (all but two in alternate plumage), 89 Scoter (all Surf as far as I could tell in the haze) well off shore from Linden Ave., Branford, along with 14 Long-tailed Ducks,  5 RT Loons, 2 Common Loons, and two RB Mergansers in a cove nearby. I heard several Eastern Wood Pewees singing along the coast and ran into quite a few Cedar Waxwings.  If anyone is seeing any late waterfowl, white-winged gulls, lesser black-backeds, bonaparte's, Laughing,  we'd love to know.  We could also use reliable snipe and solitary sandpiper sites... Thanks again, everyone.  We're getting psyched for the Big Day!

Frank Gallo
Life is short. Bird often.