[CT Birds] Hammonassett Ruff, Curlew Sandpiper, and Tricolored Heron

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Tue May 15 22:26:00 EDT 2012

5/15/12 - Madison - Hammonassett Beach State Park - Tricolored Heron out at the end of the moraine trail,Curlew Sandpiper and Ruff seen on the grassy lot near the nature center
Sara and I had the Ruff on the west side of the grassy parking area next to the nature center for a brief but good look until all the birds took off towards the end of the Moraine Trail. The Ruff was with a small group of Black-bellied Plovers. We did not relocate it until Sara spotted it in the marsh that it had been originally reported in at about 8pm. I spotted the Tricolored Heron out at the end of the Moraine Trail while searching for the Ruff from Cedar Island. I found the Curlew Sandpiper in a puddle in the Meig's parking lot at about 7:10pm standing next to a Dunlin and a few other shorebirds. The Curlew Sandpiper was in almost full breeding plumage. The rich rufous color under it's neck extended down to the belly and around the face. I think it had some white patches on it's face and the bill was a slightly more curved than a Dunlin.It took off while I was looking at my field guide and none of us saw where they went. We spent the next 50 minutes trying to relocate the Ruff and the Curlew Sandpiper with Janet Mehmel who arrived about 7:30pm. We plan on trying to relocate these birds in the morning.
Will the gentleman who took a record photo of the Ruff please email me a copy? Many thanks.
Tina Green