[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed May 16 14:12:00 EDT 2012

5/15  Milford,  Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  10AM-1PM.  high tide
receding, over cast around 60-65F
Male osprey was on nest at 10AM and female on perch.  At 10:25 female
brought in branch and went on nest.
11:30AM, male returns  to perch with fish, eating head first.
11:40AM male delivers fish to female. female takes fish to perch to eat &
male is on eggs.
11:45-3rd osprey circles overhead.
12:05 PM female is done with fish, and flies through marsh, washing feet
and went back to perch.
Very birdy on grounds today-
15 Purple martins on condo & gourds.
3 Redstarts (2M, 1F), a magnolia warbler, 1 yellow warbler, 1 Female Ruby
throated hummingbird, 1 mourning dove on her nest, regurgitating food to 2
chicks, house finches, house sparrows, common grackles, Redwinged blackb
irds, catbirds, cardinals, carolina wren, titmouse, tree & barn swallows,
On marsh were about 50 Brant, 3 mute swans, 9 Great egrets, 3 snowy
egrets,  1 Yellow crowned night heron adult,  a mixed flock of about 100+
dunlin, least sandpipers & semi-palmated sandpipers as tide went out,
greater yellow legs.
In parking lot area when I was leaving I heard a common yellowthroat and
chestnut sided warbler singing.
Beverly Propen, Orange