[CT Birds] RUFF - YES - Hammonasset Beach SP, May 16, 2012

Richard Payne richardpayne07 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 19:14:48 EDT 2012

The RUFF was still present when I left Hammonasset around 1:30 this
afternoon, last seen by me in the boulder pool. Also saw 60 other species
this morning, full report below.

Hammonasset Beach SP, New Haven, US-CT
May 16, 2012 9:50 AM - 1:32 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Was mostly on my own, but ran into many other birders also
looking for the Ruff, which I eventually found by following the crowd. It
was very misty, but visibility improved over time.
61 species (+1 other taxa)

Brant  18
Canada Goose  6
Mute Swan  2     In the 'Swan Pond' (? - on the way to west beach)
American Black Duck  1
Mallard  5
Horned Grebe  1     to the west of the rock jetty
Double-crested Cormorant  5
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  2
Little Blue Heron  2
Glossy Ibis  3
Osprey  5
Black-bellied Plover  2
Semipalmated Plover  10
Killdeer  5
Spotted Sandpiper  2     on the rock jetty
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Willet  20
Semipalmated Sandpiper  10
Least Sandpiper  30
Purple Sandpiper  2     on the rock jetty
Dunlin  25     in the marsh at the first part of the moraine trail
peep sp.  10
Ruff  1     Seen with more than 10 other birders: large sandpiper with
short bill, blotchy black breast, feathers on back and primaries had dark
centers with bright orange-brown borders, snow white under tail. Was in the
boulder pond when I finally caught up to it.
Herring Gull  40
Great Black-backed Gull  1
Least Tern  8
Common Tern  2
Mourning Dove  5
Chimney Swift  4
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1     At the entrance to Willard's Is.
Northern Flicker  1
American Crow  2
Fish Crow  3
Purple Martin  30     about evenly divided b/t the two separate nest box
locations (nature center and swan pond)
Tree Swallow  30
Barn Swallow  10
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Marsh Wren  2     path leading to Willard's Is.
Wood Thrush  1     heard singing from cedar island
American Robin  25
Gray Catbird  10
Northern Mockingbird  8
Brown Thrasher  2
European Starling  12
Cedar Waxwing  25     one large flock
Common Yellowthroat  6
Northern Parula  1     Cedar Island
Yellow Warbler  14
Chestnut-sided Warbler  1     near Cedar Island
Blackpoll Warbler  1     near Cedar Island
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1     Cedar Island
Song Sparrow  20
Northern Cardinal  4
Red-winged Blackbird  45
Common Grackle  40
Brown-headed Cowbird  6
Orchard Oriole  2     one adult male singing in the trees north of the
boulder pond in the am, one immature male singing on cedar is.
House Finch  2
American Goldfinch  5
House Sparrow  1     male on one of the tree swallow boxes