[CT Birds] tricolored herons

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 17 22:34:51 EDT 2012

I was just wondering if people are checking all the reported tricoloreds to
ensure that there are no signs of hybridization.  At least one of the birds
photographed at Hammo last year looked very much like a hybrid (certainly not a
normal tricolored) and it is not unusual for hybridization to occur at the edge
of a species' range (especially if that range is expanding).  I'm not suggesting
that the recently sighted birds are not pure tricoloreds, but if observers are
not considering that possibility then there could be mis-identifications.

Maybe Mark could chime in here since he was the one who highlighted the issue
about last summer's Hammonasset birds.

 Chris Elphick
Storrs, CT
elphick at sbcglobal.net