[CT Birds] About Reporting

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 18 12:14:13 EDT 2012

Larry,

That format is fine, but I don't want people to feel they have to limit themselves to that.

Years ago, before CTBirds let everyone communicate, the daily report was pretty important.  When Dori Sosensky developed the daily report she worked out the format I still follow today.  At that time everyone was asked to follow that format to make compiling the daily report manageable.  Instructions for following can still be found here: www.ctbirding.org/ecommittee.htm#reporting

When CTBirds was created it transformed the communication process.  Instead of the emphasis being exclusively "rare" birds (as defined on a list) in a format that could be compiled without taking all night, CTBirds is birders talking to birders.  That communication is too important to limit  it with a strict format.  I might get on people's case now and then about content, but I generally don't make an issue about format - even though I REALLY appreciate everyone who tries to include their sightings laid out that way.

So your format is great, and I welcome its use by everyone, but nobody should let it keep them from saying what they have to say.

Good birding!

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, Ct