[CT Birds] About Reporting

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri May 18 13:05:16 EDT 2012

> I have seen some reports in which the species name is all in capital
> letters - "what's up with that?"

Just added emphasis.  Some use all caps for particularly good birds, some use it for birds that make the daily report, some use it for everything.  Others don't capitalize species at all.

For anyone who cares - an exceeding small number, I suspect - the American Ornithological Union defines the official spelling of  our species names, including capitalization and use of hyphens..  I try to follow that with the single exception of using all caps for extra emphasis, or copying all caps from incoming reports when compiling the daily.

Here's a quiz for you.  How many of you are sure which of these (if any) is the correct AOU-certified proper and correct spelling?

Black crowned night heron
Black Crowned Night Heron
Black-crowned Night Heron
Black-Crowned Night-Heron