[CT Birds] 5/19 - Fairfield 'Big Day'

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 13:21:56 EDT 2012

Dave Hursh and I conducted a non-formal eighteen-hour big day, restricted
to the town of Fairfield. Our primary goal was to beat last year's record
of 106 species over fifteen hours. Despite poor migration conditions the
night before, we were nevertheless able to put together a total of 116
species, crushing last year's total by 10 species! Several huge misses
stood out, which always happens on big days, but several surprises also
occurred, neutralizing the ugliest misses.

I'll throw up a long report of the big day effort in the coming days at
this link: http://floridascrubjay.wordpress.com/

But for now, I'll keep to the highlights here:

>From Alex Burdo and Dave Hursh:
05/19/12 - Fairfield, Townwide 'Big Day' -- The highlights of our eighteen
hour effort included 11+ White-winged Scoter, 1 Wild Turkey, 4 Common Loon,
1 Green Heron, 1 Cooper's Hawk, 1 BROAD-WINGED HAWK (possible breeder!!),
many Clapper Rail, 10 shorebird species including 3 American Oystercatcher
and 1 Dunlin, 1 YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, 3 Barred Owl, 1 Pileated Woodpecker
(got Hairy too), 4+ Willow Flycatcher, 1 WHITE-EYED VIREO, 1 PURPLE MARTIN,
15+ CLIFF SWALLOW, 10+ MARSH WREN, 3 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 5+ EASTERN
BLUEBIRD, 3+ SWAINSON'S THRUSH, 3 BROWN THRASHER, 16 wood-warbler species
including 1 Louisiana Waterthrush, 1 Chestnut-sided Warbler, 1 Blackpoll
Warbler, 3 CANADA WARBLER, 1 Field Sparrow, 10+ SALTMARSH SPARROW, 1
SEASIDE SPARROW, 1 Swamp Sparrow, 4+ Indigo Bunting, 8+ ORCHARD ORIOLE

I'm sorry for all of the pluses on the numbers, but it was difficult
keeping track of exact totals as we were moving about. I threw up a report
on eBird as well, unfortunately with many X's.

Many thanks to Frank Mantlik, Scott Kruitbosch and especially Charlie
Barnard for help with planning, gathering information, and scouting. Much
of the days success was due in part to the help these guys provided!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield