[CT Birds] wind turbines and birds

Anthony Zemba Anthony.Zemba at gza.com
Mon May 21 12:59:34 EDT 2012

Zellne  et al.:
There are plenty of studies to the contrary and many studies in the gray literature done by consultants commissioned by energy companies, esp. out west. SO it is FACT that turbines have killed birds and can be reasonably expected to kill more, esp. if sited within a major migratory pathway. The question is whether or not the mortality is significant when compared to the species' population level and other sources of mortality.  For the Federally protected Golden Eagle, the mortality attributed to wind turbines in California alone may indeed be significant. For some passerines, the mortality caused by glass windows of high-rise buildings may far surpass that caused by Wind turbines.

Turbine-induced bat mortality (due largely to barotrauma as opposed to blade collision) is especially concerning given the recent mortality rates of some species due to White Nose Syndrome.

Anthony Zemba CHMM
Certified Ecologist / Soil Scientist
GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc.

655 Winding Brook Drive