[CT Birds] E. Haddam and Salem Birds, including ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS, CERULEAN WARBLERS

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Mon May 21 17:59:33 EDT 2012

One of the nicest and most tranquil days of birding I have had in a long time.  I spent the day in my local patch exploring some spots I seem to rarely get to: West Rd. in Salem and Devil's Hopyard SP in E. Haddam.

West Rd., off of RT. 82 in Salem:

6 CERULEAN WARBLERS, possibly more
1 Blue-winged Warbler, in nearby meadow
1 Indigo Bunting, meadow
2 Scarlet Tanagers, meadow
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Yellow-throated Vireo
1 Pileated Woodpecker
1 Great-crested Flycatcher
Flock of Cedar Waxwings

Several ovenbirds, redstarts, towhees, wood thrushes, B. orioles, chipping sparrows, blue gray gnatcatchers.   Red-eyed vireos singing incessantly.

Devil's Hopyard SP off RT 82  in E. Haddam:

2 ACADIAN FLYCATCHERS, one in the park, the other on the entrance road, much closer to Rt. 82
Several Black-throated Green Warblers
2 Worm-eating Warblers
1 Scarlet Tanager
1 Veery
Several Wood Thrush and Ovenbirds
Small flock of Chimney Swifts overhead
Red-eyed Vireos everywhere

And 1 Barred Owl somewhere in the hinterlands of eastern CT, with great looks!

Interesting experience with a bird song--  As I was leaving Devil's Hopyard, I was stopped dead in my tracks by a song with which I was not familiar, two notes clear and fairly loud.  I left the main road and followed a trail  into the woods for a bit, and then I clearly heard the WHOLE song:

Zee zee ZOO ZOO zee

Which meant from my car on the road from a distance I was only able to hear a partial song. And further along down the road, the same thing happened again.  Oh human frailty and aging ears!

Carolyn Cimino

Sent from my iPad