[CT Birds] RUFF - ?

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Tue May 22 11:31:21 EDT 2012

5/22  Yesterday, Monday, I was at Hammonassett and may possibly have  seen
a glimpse of the RUFF.  First there was a plump bird with a two-tone  bill
(black with red at the base) and a speckled head hunkered down in a small
pond on the right just before the East Pavillion - not a greater  yellow-legs,
I think it was a willet.  However, as I drove  down the pond on the right
of the Nature Center parking lot as you enter, a  yellowlegs-sized bird flew
up from the grasses and flew towards the open beach  in the distance on the
moraine trail.  Did not see its bill, but did see  two conspiculous white
patches on its tail.  Time: about noon, light was  poor, almost a drizzle, and
I did not relocate the bird from the beach  side.
Also:  at least 4 GLOSSY IBIS (no white on face) in marsh and LITTLE  BLUE
HERON in boulder pond.  No Tri-colored Herons.
Angela Dimmitt