[CT Birds] wind turbines and birds

paul cianfaglione pgcianfaglione at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:09:30 EDT 2012

I’m definitely not qualified to speak on any level regarding wind turbines,
but I would like to share with you some information I recently read. Here
is an excerpt from a recent article in Bird Conservation Magazine (The
Magazine of the American Bird Conservancy), *Wings and Wind Power, Proceed
with Caution*;

     *Thousands of birds-including eagles, songbirds, and endangered
species- are now meeting this same sad end through collisions with modern
wind turbines. These turbines – with blades so long that, at 15 rotations
per minute, they are moving at 180 to 200 miles per hour at their tips –
are increasingly being placed atop prominent ridges, along which large
numbers of hawks and other birds migrate. ABC estimates that by 2030, there
will likely be more than 100,000 wind turbines in the United States, and
these are expected to kill at least one million birds each year – probably
significantly more. By this same time, wind farms are also expected to
impact almost 20,000 square miles of terrestrial habitat, and over 4000
square miles of marine habitat, some of it critical to threatened species. *

Paul Cianfaglione

Canton