[CT Birds] apparent WESTERN TANAGER, Fairfield (Feb. 2012)

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 21:24:24 EDT 2012

Hi All,

I just came across a photo of a Western Tanager, taken at the CAS Larsen
Sanctuary in Fairfield on February 13. Perhaps there's no reason to post
this, but I must admit that I am quite p.o.ed with the observer for not
coming forward sooner with such a sighting, even if they were not sure of
the identification. It's always better to not be sure and ask than to keep
it to yourself! This is the kind of bird that people want to see, and the
fact that it was in Fairfield makes it an even more painful hit to take for

Anyway, here's a link to the photo:

It's interesting to ponder if this could be the same individual as the one
that showed up in Mystic a month later, as the observer mentions. I'm not
sure of the age and sex of the Mystic bird, however, and if it relates to
that of the one found in Fairfield.

Wow! Three Western Tanagers in one year in Connecticut!

Alex Burdo