[CT Birds] LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER- Sandy Point (and many Shorebirds) Keith Mueller

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed May 23 15:07:06 EDT 2012

Spent most of the day Shorebirding (from 8:o0 am to 10:30 am) Milford
Point- dead low tide, and 11:15 pm to 1:30 pm at Sandy Point New
Haven. Highlights:

Milford Point- 7 PIPING PLOVER (2 sitting on nests in enclosures- 5
different individuals on the beach and the mudflats. On the low tide
flats (steamer clam flats of Pompey's Bar at the the low stones)- 24+
Short-billed Dowitcher, 5 Oystercatcher, plenty of Dunlin, Least and
Semi-palmated Sandpipers, Sanderlings, Semi-palmated and Black-bellied
Plover, Ruddy Turnstone and 1 RED KNOT. Many flocks flying up the
River never stopping on the sandbars and flats. The flats were covered
with mating Horseshoe Crabs and I photographed 7 with USFW tags.

Sandy Point, (I walked out on the low bar (with the buried pipe).
There were Shorebirds everywhere: in the marsh, along the sandbar and
flying up and down the Harbor. There were two birders on the high sand
bar watching the nesting Plovers and Terns in the fenced -off area
from a distance with binoculars. They commented that many of the young
PIPING PLOVERS were walking around inside the fenced area. I only
recorded birds from the low bar as I missed the tide by half an hour
to cross over the inlet. BUt the highlights on the low bar: many
Common and Least Terns, over 500 Shorebirds including Least and
Semi-palmated Sandpipers, Semi-palmated and BLack-bellied Plover,
Ruddy Turnstones, handfuls of Spotted Sandpipers in the grassy field
along the path from the parking lot. Willets, and over 100
Short-billed Dowitchers which included 1 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER and 1
RED KNOT in one of the flocks at the end of the low sandbar. The bird
was still in change-over plumage. I first spotted the bird in my
binoculars in the flock on a small sandy island across a small
incoming tidal wash formed by the incoming tide. I wasn't able to get
close enough for closer images. I was able to take a few comparative
long shots next to the surrounding Short-billed. The bird was larger,
and standing in a steep upright sleeping stance (compared to the
slightly smaller Short-billed which displayed the usual nearly level
sleeping stance. The eye was located centrally in its head, and the
base of the bill was not flared and was narrow. The bird still
remained when I left, but with the incoming tide it could be anywhere
(if it is still on the sandbar). On the way out I walked along a
raccoon trail in the marsh and walked up on 2 CLAPPER RAIL and was
able to take a few decent shots. Several Marsh Wrens as well.

I will have the images posted on my blog in a few days.

Keith Mueller
Killingworth