[CT Birds] Boston Hollow/Yale Forest Ashford, 5/24/12 - Barred Owl, BB cuckoo

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu May 24 17:48:13 EDT 2012

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
May 24, 2012 8:20 AM - 1:30  PM
Protocol: Traveling
9.0 mile(s)
Comments: BB Cuckoo was singing a  very non-standard song - only a good
guess ID'd him well enough to call him  in.
45 species (+1 other taxa)

Highlights were Barred Owl and Black-billed Cuckoo. BBCU was singing a song
 so odd I almost didn't recognize it. The Boston Hollow Ravens have one
fledgling, which I first saw last Monday, in the middle of the road along
with the parents. Today the family was making an incredible amount of noise,
and  I think the parents were trying to coax the youngster into flying with
them. If  their behavior is true to prior form they will all leave for the
summer within  the week. Once again there are three birds singing in the area
which sound  exactly like Cerulean Warblers to me, but I cannot get them
close enough to ID  them. I heard a Winter Wren Monday, but not today.

Turkey Vulture 4
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Broad-winged Hawk  2
Red-tailed Hawk 1