[CT Birds] Torrington Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat May 26 12:34:21 EDT 2012

Most inland birders I have talked to feel that migrants passed through here really quickly this year.   For me, it was blink and one either missed some of the more desirable treetop warblers and thrushes and such, unless your last name happens to be Tripp.  I did a solo Big Day on Wednesday and had just one obvious northbound migrant -- a Blackpoll Warbler -- while up in the northwest corner.  The girth-challenged lady may not be singing yet for songbird migration but she is waiting in the wings.  Still, there are some things moving through.  Early this morning, again in the northwest hills, I had a couple of Blackpoll Warblers in various places and a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher in a wet meadow off Klug Hill Road in Torrington.  Nice pickup considering I was trying to add Indigo Bunting to my town list there at the time!  I wouldn't have called that flycatcher if it wasn't singing.  Tough ID.

It was so warm that when the sun came out around 7:30, butterflies and dragonflies started flying.

>From Jamie Meyers:
5/26 -- Torrington, Klug Hill Road -- YELLOW-BELLIED FLYCATCHER

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT