[CT Birds] 5/26 - Trout Brook and Kent

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 20:33:06 EDT 2012

I spent a very enjoyable eight hours birding parts of the Trout Brook
Valley Conservation area in Easton and along the entire length of
Schaighticoke Road in Kent (accessed from Bulls Bridge Road). Although my
main target (Black-billed Cuckoo) failed to materialize, I nevertheless
enjoyed a fantastic slew of birds, including a number of uncommon/CT Watch
List species. The likely highlight of the entire morning was probably
notching 17 wood-warbler species along my entire route. With the addition
of Pine (which failed to appear at Hemlock Reservoir!) as well as
Blackburnian, BT Green, BT Blue, Yellow-rumped, Northern Waterthrush (all
breeding farther north in the northwest corner), my total might've easily
surpassed twenty species on this slightly late date.

Highlights below:

>From Alex Burdo:
05/26/12 - Eastern, Trout Brook Conservation Area -- 49 species including 3
YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO, 1 Pileated Woodpecker, 3 ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, 2 Willow
Flycatcher, 1 YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, 3 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, 1 Worm-eating
Warbler, 1 Louisiana Waterthrush, 2 Blue-winged Warbler, 2 Black-and-white
Warbler, 1 TENNESSEE WARBLER, 3 Common Yellowthroat, 4 American Redstart, 1
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, 1 Yellow Warbler, 4 BLACKPOLL WARBLER, 1 CANADA
WARBLER, 1 Swamp Sparrow. Full eBird checklist with locations and notes:
Redding, Saugatuck Reservoir (north end) -- at least one CLIFF SWALLOW
heading to likely nest site under the bridge near the intersection of 53
and the Newtown Turnpike.
New Milford, Intersection of Route 202 and 7 -- one BLACK VULTURE over the
"Finest Super Shopping Center"
Kent, Schaighticoke Road -- 38 species including 2 YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKER, 1 Eastern Wood-Pewee, 2 Willow Flycatcher, 2 Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, 11 Ovenbird, 1 Worm-eating Warbler, 3 Black-and-white Warbler,
2 Common Yellowthroat, 1 HOODED WARBLER, 14 American Redstart, 2 CERULEAN
WARBLER, 1 Northern Parula, 6 Yellow Warbler. eBird checklist:
Kent, South Main Street and Macedonia Road -- 1 FISH CROW. According to
eBird reports, this species is quite uncommon-nonexistent in this area,
with ZERO reports of Fish Crow in Kent this year (
http://ebird.org/ebird/map/fiscro?bmo=01&emo=12&byr=2012&eyr=2012&env.minX=-73.73&env.minY=40.98&env.maxX=-71.788&env.maxY=42.05&gp=true).
This bird was heard calling in the vicinity of the river right near the
intersection.
Gaylordsville, near the intersection of Kent and Morris Roads -- 1 singing
Magnolia Warbler
Easton, between Valley and Silver Hill Roads -- 1 PRAIRIE WARBLER. This
bird was singing in an open area in the otherwise continuous canopy,
dominated by low, Christmas tree-like pines (possibly a plantation?). It
was a rather small area, but as we were along the road and blocked by a few
trees, I really couldn't get a sense of its area. However, there were
several other patches quite like this one less than .2 miles down the road.

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my query on Black-billed
Cuckoo. I was honestly overwhelmed with peoples' generosity in sharing
information. I feel so lucky to live in a state with such a wonderful (and
supportive) birding community as Connecticut!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield