[CT Birds] Maine Audubon trip

Mike Windsor mwindsor at maineaudubon.org
Tue May 29 06:07:08 EDT 2012

If anyone is interested in trips outside of CT this summer, please see

Seabirds of Matinicus Rock

Friday Jun 8, 2012 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM

New Harbor, ME

Members: $80.00 Non-members: $100.00

A 32-acre island 18 miles offshore at the mouth of Penobscot Bay, Matinicus
Rock is one of Maine’s most important seabird nesting colonies. Here,
Atlantic puffins, razorbills, common murres, black guillemots, arctic and
common terns, and laughing gulls all gather to nest.

Motoring out of New Harbor aboard the Hardy III, we’ll cross the mouth of
Muscongus Bay, passing close by the seabird colony at Eastern Egg Rock
where roseate terns nest. With plenty of open-water habitat along our
route, we could see a good array of pelagic species, including Wilson’s
storm-petrels, northern gannets, common murres, phalaropes, greater and
sooty shearwaters, black-legged kittiwakes, and jaegers.

Please visit www.maineaudubon.org to register online.

Mike Windsor
Staff Naturalist & Adult Educator
Maine Audubon