[CT Birds] Bird programs at the Coastal Center

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu May 31 08:29:07 EDT 2012

Sorting Out Bird Songs
Thursday, May 31,  or Wednesday, June 6, 7 – 9 p.m.  (Tonight!)
Discover the basics of birding by ear!  Using a variety of sound resources, instructor Frank Gallo will teach you tips, tricks, and even pitfalls to identifying birds by sound.  Is that an oriole or a tanager singing? Come find out, as we delve into the secrets to birding by ear. Meet at the Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center at Milford Point. Fee: $35. Seniors $31. Call Louise at 203-878-7440.

Spring Birding Programs
The Early-bird Walks
Saturdays, May 26, and June 2, 8:00 – 9:00 a.m.
Would you like to share your interest in birds and learn identification tips from others? Here’s a chance to see old friends, meet new ones, and get your bird I.D questions answered. We’ll concentrate on the basics and learn from one another as we search for migrants withFrank Galloon the productive beaches, marshes, mudflats, and forests of Milford Point. More than 315 species out ofConnecticut’s total of 424 have occurred at Milford Point! Advance registration appreciated.  Call Louise at 203-878-7440.
Fee: $5.

Family Canoe Programs
Through the Charles E. Wheeler Salt Marsh
Saturday, June 9 at 2:15 p.m.­ – 4:45 p.m.
Sunday, June 10 at 3:15 p.m.–5:45 p.m.
Sunday, June 17 at 9:00 a.m.–11:30 a.m. (Special Father’s Day Paddle)
Saturday, July 7 at 1:15 p.m.–3:45 p.m.

Join us on a guided canoe tour of the Charles Wheeler Salt Marsh. Steeped in local history, the Marsh offers an abundance of birds and other wildlife, beautiful vistas and a chance to paddle and relax. Bring water, a snack, and wear shoes that can get wet. Contact the Coastal Center for more information. Trip routes are subject to change due to weather. Wind may cause trips to be canceled, even on sunny days; please call 1-1.5 hours in advance for trip status. Advance registration required Call Louise at 203-878-7440. Sign-up early for these popular tours! (* Bring a lunch on these days.)
Coastal Center Canoes
CAS Members $29/person, $69/canoe (3 people)
Non-members $39/person, $99/canoe (3people)
Private Canoe/Kayak
$20 CAS Members, $30 Non-members
For a full listing of canoe dates see our webpage at www.ctaudubon.org, under the Coastal Center heading.

Frank Gallo, Director