[CT Birds] Bonaparte's Gull, Greenwich

sean at seanmurthaart.com sean at seanmurthaart.com
Thu May 31 14:37:02 EDT 2012

There is a BONAPARTE'S GULL at Grass Island, Greenwich today.  I first observed it Tuesday on the mudflats below the outlet of the Horseneck River- today it was on the mudflats on the west side of Grass Island, behind the Yacht club.  Almost complete black hood, just showing some white flecks.  This is the latest I have seen them in the area- though a glance at ebird (gulp- I hope I'm not treading dangerous ground here) shows a small handful of recent local reports.

There is also a not-yet-fledged KILLDEER being cautiously guarded by its parents along the south side of the water treatment facility.  I've seen Killdeer often here and suspected they were nesting in the gravel of the boatyard but this is the first proof I've seen of success.  I hope the little guy fledges before the place becomes bustling with boaters!

-Sean Murtha, Norwalk

www.seanmurthaart.com