[CT Birds] Summer Bird Count Season

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Thu May 31 20:48:35 EDT 2012

To Connecticut Birders:

The season for Summer Bird Counts is just around the corner.  A list of Connecticut's summer counts can be found on the COA web site. With so many new birders on this list serve, it might be pertinent to make a pitch for your participation.  Summer Bird Counts provide a valuable tool for assessing trends in the populations of Connecticut's breeding birds. Are there species that are declining? Are others increasing?  Sure, our field trips may provide some anecdotal evidence, but the statewide summer counts provide a much broader picture. There is no charge to participate, and birders may spend as little or as much time as they desire in the field on the weekend of each count. Results of all Conecticut Counts will be published in a future edition of The Connecticut Warbler.

Each Count has a compiler, and the compilers will be happy to provide information on their Count. The Hartford Count will be held June 9-10. Any Hartford area birders interested in participating may contact me at this e-mail address.

Good birding,

Jay Kaplan, Compiler
Hartford Summer Bird Count