[CT Birds] Chickadee nestlings

Patrick psmithct at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 1 08:13:28 EDT 2012

A little help?  I have chickadees nesting in a chickadee nest box (with added Wren guard.)  Since they are prone to early fledging if disturbed, I am to remove the nest guard when they are only four to seven days old.  So my question is, how many days old will they be when they begin peeping at food time, so I can judge the time to remove the wren guard.  I do not want to open the box and look.
Also, if I find an obviously  prematurely fledged chickadee, can I put it backin the box?  Put it in the vegetation near the box?  or leave it be.
Thanks - Pat