[CT Birds] Boston Hollow and Yale Forest, Ashford - the nursery is filling up fast!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Jun 1 20:03:46 EDT 2012

I had 2 interesting observations this morning. I had stopped where I
usually hear a Northern Waterthrush and several other birds when I saw a truck
coming, so I pulled over to let him pass. Since I was stopped I shut off the
car  to sit for a minute and look and listen. Immediately I heard the NOWA
call once,  and heard a lot of Waterthrush type chip notes. Then I saw 2
birds chasing each  other around in the brush right across the road from me and
realized they  were Waterthrushes, and I assumed it was the mated pair that
lives there. But  they both landed in the (dirt) roadway, ignoring me, and
began pecking for  gravel. Before long they were less than 10 feet from the
car. Meanwhile, I was  hearing some soft mewing sounds and wondered if they
could be from young still  in the nest. But when I took a really close look
at the birds I realized there  was something different about them, didn't
look quite like adult Northerns. And  I discovered the mewing sounds were
coming from them. The streaking on the  breasts looked somehow different, the
streaks leaving a small white area under  the chin, though not as much as a
Louisiana, and the usual strong white  line over the eye was very vague and
hard to see, even at close range. But the  tails were bobbing so there was no
doubt they were Northern Waterthrushes. It  finally dawned on me that they
were fledglings! The chasing was sibling play,  not mating behavior.
That was a very birdy spot and while I sat there I heard and saw  the
Northern Waterthrushes, as well as  hearing a Louisiana  Waterthrush (about 100
yds down the road), lots of Ovenbirds, at least 2  Canada Warblers, 2 or 3
Black and white Warblers, 4 or more Black-throated  Greens, 1 Black-throated
Blue, Red-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos, (distantly)  a Winter Wren, E.
Wood-pewee, Crows, and a few of the usual suspects.
I moved on a couple of hundred yards and as I was going by, the Winter Wren
 sounded off right in my ear. He was singing a much-lengthened version of
his  usual song so I pulled over and decided to try and spot him. Several
weeks ago I saw a pair in the same location, one gathering nesting  materials.
I walked back down the road and after about 5 minutes of just  watching the
hillside I saw a bird fly in and land at the base of a big rock. It  was
right in a little patch of sunshine in front of a hole in the  rocks, and I
spotted it easily with my bins, but then I got much more than  I'd bargained
for! It was feeding a nestling, probably not more than a week old,  with
"fuzzy hair" and a stubby tail less than half full length, pointing  straight up
in the air! And as I watched, 2 more chicks appeared, as well as the  other
parent, so I had 5 Wrens at the same time within 2 square  feet.  The
nestlings were no more than 2/3 the size of the parents,  and If wrens are cute,
these are adorable! Periodically dad would rear  back and let go with his
song. I think it was pure joy!
I believe the Ravens left the Hollow last Sunday. The parents were making a
 ruckus, trying to get their fledgling to go fly with them, and on Monday
and  every day I've been there since there has been no sign of them. The same
thing  has happened around the first of June the last three years. I have
no idea  whether they stay in the general area or perhaps go a little farther
north. If  they are true to form they will make an appearance again in late
summer,  although they may not stay. The owner of the new house on Barlow
Mill tells me  he heard/saw them in the winter, but I wonder if they were the
same birds. When  I started visiting regularly in mid-March I saw/heard no
sign of them for  several weeks.

Today's Ebird list:

Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 1, 2012 7:45 AM - 2:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
8.0 mile(s)
42 species

Broad-winged Hawk  1
Turkey Vulture 1
Rock Pigeon 1
Mourning Dove 4
Red-bellied  Woodpecker 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 6
Acadian Flycatcher 1
Least Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe 3
Great Crested Flycatcher 1
Blue-headed Vireo  2
Warbling Vireo 6
Red-eyed Vireo 20
Blue Jay 2
American Crow  3
Black-capped Chickadee 3
Winter Wren   (5 Spotted, 2 adults  feeding 3 nestlings with "fuzzy hair"
and stubby tails less than half full  length, sticking straight up. Adorable!)
House Wren 1
Veery 10
Hermit Thrush 1
American Robin 12
Gray Catbird  10
Ovenbird 25
Louisiana Waterthrush 4
Northern Waterthrush  5   (2 juvies chasing each other around and pecking
sand from the  road)
Blue-winged Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 6
Common  Yellowthroat 8