[CT Birds] ID Help: White-faced Ibis?

Michael Richardson michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 1 21:36:42 EDT 2012

Hi James and Greg,

Thanks for taking a look.  FYI, in the photo of the three ibis, it is the one on the far right that I am wondering about.  I uploaded two new photos for this bird that may help with the identification:

http://flic.kr/p/c9CYiA
http://flic.kr/p/c9CYBj

I understand that the white line above the eye is a key identification feature for the glossy ibis, however this one bird just looks so different compared to the other glossy ibis that were nearby.  Especially when you compare bill size.    Maybe it's just a juvenile, or a hybrid or something else.  To me, the bill length compared to the size of it's body looks more like the glossy ibis, however it is lacking the facial features of a white-faced ibis in breeding plumage.

Thanks again for your input,

Mike