[CT Birds] Breeding Bird Evidence and eBird

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Jun 2 00:21:31 EDT 2012

I, along with Steve, look forward to a formal Breeding Bird Atlas here.
However, it's worth noting in the meantime that eBird is set up with a
built-in atlas-type set of codes. Any observation made by anyone using eBird
can be enhanced by applying Possible/Probable/Confirmed breeding evidence
easily found in a dropdown window. Just click on the Add Details tab that
appears next to a species when you enter it onto a checklist. Today you
could start doing your own mini-Atlas of your yard, a favorite site etc. As
with all eBird entries, the information goes into a secure, searchable
database (which assures that at sometime in the future your records won't
meet the birding equivalent of your mom throwing away your baseball cards).

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury