[CT Birds] Mississippi Kites - recent Simsbury sightings?

Brenda Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Sun Jun 3 19:06:09 EDT 2012

Greetings to all,

Today while out driving around I stopped to see the pair of Mississippi Kites at Sterling Forest Visitors Center in Sterling Forest State Park, NY.  It was just a thought that this pair (observed mating today) could be the same two that nested at Great Pond in Simsbury, CT in previous years.  I'm wondering if anyone has seen the two at Great Pond this season.  I was informed that their nest had been destroyed, I believe, during Hurricane Irene.  Sure, it's just suppositional as there have been many Mississippi Kite sightings in the northeast this past month, but it's interesting that the Sterling Pair are not that far from Simsbury.  Have the CT birds returned?

If anyone is contemplating a visit to Sterling, the birds are easily viewed from a distance right from the visitor parking lot without hardly leaving the car!  It is concerning that too many people might be a disturbance.  I've heard that the area may eventually be restricted somehow.  In the meantime, it's crucial to observe responsible and respectful birding and photography.  Today there were folks right under the snags where the birds were perched and mating, both birders and photographers.  It's not necessary to be that close; it was clear that the birds took notice.

Brenda Inskeep - Stamford