[CT Birds] Mississippi Kites - recent Simsbury sightings?

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 20:48:08 EDT 2012

 Hi Brenda!

Actually, the Simsbury Mississippi Kite nest failed in early June 2010 when the egg blew out of the nest in a strong windstorm on or about June 3rd.  The nest was subsequently taken over by gray squirrels.

In 2011, there were sporadic reports of Mississippi Kite at Great Pond, however, only a single bird was seen. To my knowledge, no one ever saw more than one bird.

I think it would be a stretch to think that the New York birds are the same pair that nested in Simsbury, although I suppose anything is possible.  My own guess is that one of the pair did arrive in Simsbury last year, but perhaps something happened to the mate.  Other birders think there was a nest last year, but it was never located. I think if the birds nested in 2011, at some point the pair would have been seen.

In 2012, a single observer has reported a kite at Great Pond on one occasion.

Good Birding,

Jay Kaplan
Canton