[CT Birds] Western Sandpiper - Sandy Point

Richard Payne richardpayne07 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 21:30:45 EDT 2012

One WESTERN SANDPIPER, observed at close range in good light for several
minutes this evening at Sandy Point, until it was flushed by a group of
fishermen, on the main spit by the rocks. Bill larger than nearby
Semipalmated sandpipers; crown, cheek and back very red; black streaks on
the chest formed a very clear inverted V border with a white belly. I could
not relocate it, but Luke, the man who does the shorebird survey at the
point every other day, had also seen this bird earlier in the day, same
description and he also thought it was a Western.

Several White-rumped Sandpipers were also in the same spot.

Sandy Point, New Haven, US-CT
Jun 3, 2012 5:05 PM - 7:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)

31 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard  5
Double-crested Cormorant  8
Great Egret  1
Snowy Egret  4
Black-crowned Night-Heron  1
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  1
Osprey  1
Clapper Rail  2     One seen preening on the shore of the lagoon while
another called from out of sight.
Black-bellied Plover  2
Piping Plover  4     I only saw adults, but others reported seeing adults
w/ chicks.
American Oystercatcher  5
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Willet  6
Ruddy Turnstone  2     On the north fork, north of the lagoon.
Sanderling  4
Semipalmated Sandpiper  60
Western Sandpiper  1
White-rumped Sandpiper  4     At least - 2 seen well on main peninsula
around the rocks, 2 flushed on the north fork.
Dunlin  4
Herring Gull  30
Great Black-backed Gull  2
gull sp.  60