[CT Birds] wonderful piece written by Rachel Carson

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 3 22:43:31 EDT 2012

Just read this wonderful piece written by Rachel Carson that might be
 of interest to some on this site...Paul Carrier

—Rachel Carson, from "The Sense of Wonder"
     I think the value of the game of identification depends on how you play it.
If it becomes an end in itself I count it of little use. It is possible to
compile extensive lists of creatures seen and identified without ever once
having caught a breath-taking glimpse of the wonder of life. If a child asked me
a question that suggested even a faint awareness of the mystery behind the
arrival of a migrant sandpiper on the beach of an August morning, I would be far
more pleased than by the mere fact that he knew it was a sandpiper and not a
     Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries
of the earth are never alone or weary of life. Whatever the vexations or
concerns of their personal lives, their thoughts can find paths that lead to
inner contentment and to renewed excitement in living. Those who contemplate the
beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life
lasts. There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of the birds,
the ebb and flow of the tides, the folded bud ready for spring. There is
something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature — the assurance
that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.