[CT Birds] Boston Hollow /Yale Forest, 6-4-12

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Jun 4 14:52:35 EDT 2012

With the in and out rain showers all morning it wasn't the greatest day for
 birds, but I had a few interesting ones.

2 Alder Flycatchers heard, one seen. First ones I've ever had there.
1 Olive-sided Flycatcher
1 Probable Northern Goshawk - chasing a Red-tail and showing  every
intention of wanting to kill it. I saw the Red-tail first soaring low over  a
field, when the 2nd bird came zooming in and hit it squarely in the back.  The RT
almost fell but gained its composure and started flying for its  life. But
the 2nd bird wheeled around and overtook the RT like it was standing  still
and hit it again. At that point they both went out of my sight so
unfortunately I don't know the end of the story, but it looked like the RT would  be
very lucky to escape.
I could not see the 2nd bird well enough to make a positive ID. However,
Goshawks live and breed in the Yale Forest and I have seen them in previous
years three times in the same field. The bird was as big as the Red-tail or
nearly so, which eliminates a Peregrine, and I believe I would have
recognized a  PG without a problem. Also, I have seen Broad-winged Hawks Harassing
RTs in the  same field, but the Red-tails hardly pay any attention to them.
This bird was  hit hard and appeared terrified, and I really have little
doubt the  attacker was a Goshawk. At any rate - quite a show.

Don Morgan
Coventry