[CT Birds] Birdsong ID's - something to do on a rainy day - Answers!

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jun 5 15:57:02 EDT 2012

The consensus answer, though not unanimous, is that the bird high in the
pine was a Purple Finch, and I believe that's correct. I thought of them at
the time, because the voice sounded right and I have seen and heard them in
the  same location before. It was the song that bothered me because it
seemed so  repetitive and not what I normally hear.
There is no longer a question about the bird low in the brush - I found it!
 And I am amazed! Several people suggested Redstart, and again, the voice
sounded  right to me but not the song. Well it is an American Redstart - an
ADULT FEMALE!  Perhaps everyone but me knows that they sing but I had no
idea. And no field  guide I own references female song.
Today I went to the same spot and heard the bird again, and tried a  couple
of songs. First a Blackburnian, because I thought of that myself, and it
had been suggested to me as well. That got no response.
Then I tried Redstart, and it took a minute or two but a bird came swooping
 out of the trees and almost into the window of my car. I thought I
recognized it  but wouldn't believe it. But the bird stayed in the trees next to
the car, going  back and forth and singing loudly, and when I was finally able
to see it through  the leaves It was, indeed, a female Redstart. To confirm
that it was the singer  I actually watched it sing several times. I do not
believe there is any  possibility it is a young or juvenile male - it fits
adult female perfectly and  I had a very good look. The song is actually very
much like some versions of a  "normal" Redstart, just simpler, basically
just 4 ascending notes.
Now if I could just get the Black-throated Blues to stop singing like
Don Morgan