[CT Birds] bluebird eggs disappear

jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 7 14:45:12 EDT 2012

Could be avian interspecific competition.  I check several bluebird boxes.  Earlier this year I had one with 6 bluebird eggs.  I don't recall ever having more than 5.  Anyway, I checked the same box 2 weeks later and a tree swallow had moved in built a nest.  No eggs yet.  I checked underneath the swallow nest and there was no evidence of any of the bluebird eggs.  So best I could figure was that the tree swallow evicted the bluebirds and somehow threw out the eggs.

I have another box in an adjacent field that had 6 chickadee eggs.  I checked two weeks later and it now had 5 swallow eggs and 1 BCC egg mixed in.  So again, I assumed the swallow threw out the chickadee eggs, but in this case missed one.

Alot of drama going on out there.  Unless you are there 24/7, or just happen to be standing there at the right moment, you are never sure.

John Triana