[CT Birds] Royal Terns Penfield Reef

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Fri Jun 8 06:58:11 EDT 2012

I have to run off to school, but I just wanted to get the word out that there are 2 ROYAL TERNS at Penfield Reef right now. Amazingly, the pair was showing full courting behavior towards each other, and they even copulated many times during the short 10-minute period I was able to watch them! What could that mean?! Anyway, they were on the reef and they frequently flew out and foraged together over the water, sometimes going quite far, so anyone who might look for them note that you should scan the surrounding waters as they could be out there. Talk about an exciting morning! For those of you don't know, Penfield Reef can be accessed by a small road (too small for cars though) called Lighthouse Point which can be found right near the intersection of Fairfield Beach Road and Reef Road in Fairfield.

James Purcell
Fairfield