[CT Birds] Worm-eating Warbler densities in Lyme

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 8 17:11:24 EDT 2012

On my walk today I was in mature forest interior habitat in Lyme. It was
interesting how few Worm-eating Warblers were in the area I hiked,
considering how just two miles or so as-the-crow-flies in the Nehantic State
Forest Lyme Unit they are very common. The habitat I was in today consisted
of more mature forest with a more open understory than Nehantic. I think I
had maybe 3 or 4 Worm-eating Warblers on my 3 or 4 mile walk. Small
differences (to human eyes at least) in habitat specifics can mean big
differences in faunal usage obviously. Yet when I encounter Hooded Warblers
in Nehantic or Pachaug SF they tend to be in areas of mixed maturity or
reverting habitat, and they sing from fairly low to low perches. However in
Mt. Archer today, all the Hooded were in areas of much more mature trees
with very open understory and they were singing in the canopy from 30 feet
to 70 feet high. Interesting to me at least. It was noted that Acadian
Flycatchers in CT tend to be near watercourses (was it Jamie that pointed
that out?), and that is my experience as well. The one I found today was no
different, but it was singing from the edge of someone's yard.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England