[CT Birds] Acadian Flycatchers Lyme

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 13:07:11 EDT 2012

Hiked more mileage on Lyme Land Conservation Trust properties this morning.
I was unable to relocate the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker of yesterday, however
that was most likely due to the presence of a large owl in the canopy (never
seen decently but likely a Horned) garnering a great deal of frenetic
attention from the local avian community at the drumming snag location. On
another theme, I had 4 Acadian Flycatchers (in addition to the one of
yesterday which I did not revisit today) in the Jewett Preserve. I had
stated previously that I did not think Acadians were increasing in CT as
rapidly as others felt. Well today I had 4 birds singing in an area where I
only detected 1 last year. This is still pretty anecdotal but I have to
admit I'm getting the impression there are significantly more around this
year than last and my previous position may have been in error. Which is
fine with me, their emphatic song is a welcomed counterpoint to the
monotonous and unceasing song of ubiquitous Red-eyed Vireos. Early June and
jaded already!

Dave

>From Dave Provencher

06/09/12 - Lyme, Jewett, Mt. Archer, Eno Preserves - Acadian Flycatchers
(4), Hooded Warblers (5), Cerulean Warblers (4), Red-eyed Vireos (copious!).

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England

 <http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>