[CT Birds] Yellow Bellied Sapsucker evidence - Waterford

Patrick psmithct at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 9 15:31:27 EDT 2012

Since we are on the topic.  Here in my back yard in Waterford, near the Niantic river, I just discovered that one of my big yew trees is all tattooed with those neat orderly little rows of holes that Yellow bellied sap suckers make.  I just noticed the holes after removing a large branch from the trunk, which had hid them from view.
When were they made?  Who knows.  I'm surprised that yew sap is taken since yews are so poisonous with taxol.  burning them for firewood is even not advised.