[CT Birds] 6/8 - Northwest Connecticut Birding

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 16:00:12 EDT 2012

Dave Hursh and I birded throughout the north-west and north-central
portions of the state yesterday, covering a lot of ground. Our long outing
began at Purchase Brook Road in Southbury and ended in the vicinity of
Greystone Road in Plymouth. In all, we recorded over 70 species in a
whirlwind day of birding. Highlights below (the rest, as always, is on
eBird):

>From Alex Burdo and Dave Hursh:
06/08/12 - Southbury, Purchase Brook Road -- 1 BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO (SEEN
flying across the road while vocalizing!), 1 Wood Thrush, 1 Worm-eating
Warbler
West Cornwall, River Road -- 1 female Hooded Merganser with 5 chicks, 1
Least Flycatcher, 1 Louisiana Waterthrush, 1 Chestnut-sided Warbler
Kent, River Road -- 3 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, 1 Worm-eating Warbler, 3
Louisiana Waterthrush, 1 BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, 4 CERULEAN WARBLER, 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Kent, Bridge over Macedonia Road -- 5 CLIFF SWALLOW
East Hartford, Rentschler Field -- 1 American Kestrel, 2 UPLAND SANDPIPER,
1 Willow Flycatcher, 9 Savannah Sparrow, 3 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, 6 BOBOLINK,
1 EASTERN MEADOWLARK
South Windsor, Vibert and Newberry Roads -- 1 VIRGINIA RAIL, 2 BANK
SWALLOW, 3 MARSH WREN, 1 ORCHARD ORIOLE
Plymouth, Slope across from Hancock Dam -- 1 calling EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL
Plymouth/Waterbury line, along 262 -- 1 calling EASTERN WHIP-POOR-WILL

Alex Burdo
Fairfield