[CT Birds] Update on 9 Ducklings from Hamden

Sheril Frano sfrano at att.net
Sun Jun 10 20:29:43 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Many, (MANY) thanks to everyone who reached out to offer help in the form of
contact info and those who also contacted people on our behalf to help. I
also must thank our list managers/moderators for getting our note out so
fast.  Our neighbor was able to reach a friend and the ducklings will be
taken to the famous Ranger Dan at East Rock park tomorrow who will help take
care of them.

They have remained healthy and spirited today- we made a pen on the grass
for them and made sure to keep them warm, gave them access to shallow bowls
of water and they ate (tried to swim, fly, climb, jump, run away). Now
they're settling down in a box with tight wire on top, on a towel for the
night in our garage (we have two windows with screens, so they'll have air
but be warm). ID'd as Wood Ducks - probably obvious to most, it seems they
are approx. 1 week old. The Mother remains a mystery but we did attempt to
monitor their box near the tree and no sign of being able to reunite and
very unsafe area to do so.

I am happy I learned where to turn in the event this kind of situation
happens, because I at least had a clue where to begin with birding people,
wildlife centres and how to Google rehabbers, but actually raising anyone
who could offer/provide some tangible help was much more difficult being a
Sunday etc.

Thank you again and happy birding,

Sheril & Scott Frano
Hamden