[CT Birds] Help, 9 Ducklings in my bathtub....

Sandyducky Sandyducky at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 11:51:56 EDT 2012


Wood ducks in chimneys is nothing new.  A few years back we suddenly noticed movement behind our glass 
hearth screen and upon opening were greeted by a very sooty WD.  Washed off under the kitchen tap and
happily flew off.
Sandy

On Jun 10, 2012, at 2:07 PM, Sheril Frano wrote:

> Dear Bird List,
> 
> Can anyone help us. A neighbor just brought us 9 ducklings that fell out of
> a tree in front of our house (suburban Hamden). A cat raided a squirrel nest
> apparently and caused havoc. Mum is nowhere to be found. There is nowhere
> safe to leave them to be reunited - if she is around- due to the road and
> cats that live here. The only waterway is a few streets away behind the CVS
> and BB&Beyond that we know of, and a small pond another few blocks away.
> They aren't old enough to have their water coating from what we can see
> (bearing in mind we're birdwatchers, not duckwatchers)
> 
> Coincidentally, a dead duck (small, but seemed mature) was retrieved from my
> neighbors chimney last weekend, a pair of ducks (only sighting showed brown
> ducks) and approx. 2 mths ago, a larger duck, brown, very speckled, much
> larger than deceased duck was seen in the same tree (giant sugar maple)
> once.
> 
> We have called various local nature centers and we have photographed the
> ducklings for scale, but essentially, we're calling, calling, calling and
> nothing tangible is happening. They're too young to survive alone and we
> have no clue what to do apart from Google Duckling retrieval 101, meanwhile,
> they're in our bathtub, yelling for rescue and at least being smart enough
> to huddle together for warmth. I can send a photo if anyone is interested. 
> 
> If anyone can help take the ducklings or tell us what do do, we'd be
> grateful. We work all day and can't abandon them!
> 
> Thanks,
> Sheril Frano
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ctbirds-bounces at lists.ctbirding.org
> [mailto:ctbirds-bounces at lists.ctbirding.org] On Behalf Of
> ctbirds-request at lists.ctbirding.org
> Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:01 PM
> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Subject: CTBirds Digest, Vol 1932, Issue 1
> 
> Send CTBirds mailing list submissions to
> 	ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	
> http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
> 
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	ctbirds-request at lists.ctbirding.org
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	ctbirds-owner at lists.ctbirding.org
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
> "Re: Contents of CTBirds digest..."
> 
> 
> ***  When replying to this message please trim off the unrelated portions
> ***
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Re: Stratford & Westport - YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,	PIPING
>      PLOVER, LEAST TERN (Michael Richardson)
>   2. ID Help (Michael Richardson)
>   3. Milford Pt White-rumps (Nick Bonomo)
>   4. Re: ID Help (Michael Richardson)
>   5. Hamden: Orchard Oriole Web Brook meadow (Roy Harvey)
>   6. Hartford bird count, 6/9+10 (Jonah Cohen)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 21:37:02 -0400
> From: Michael Richardson <michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com>
> To: "'Anthony Zemba'" <Anthony.Zemba at gza.com>
> Cc: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Stratford & Westport - YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT
> 	HERON,	PIPING PLOVER, LEAST TERN
> Message-ID: <SNT136-ds192646C29A4FDB513CDE41CEF00 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Thanks Anthony.  Sorry for the mis-ID.
> 
> 
> Michael Richardson
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Anthony Zemba [mailto:Anthony.Zemba at gza.com]
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:32 PM
> To: 'michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com'
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Stratford & Westport - YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,
> PIPING PLOVER, LEAST TERN
> 
> Yep
> Looks like a scraggly looking  house finch to me AZ
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Michael Richardson [mailto:michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com]
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 09:29 PM
> To: Anthony Zemba
> Cc: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
> Subject: RE: [CT Birds] Stratford & Westport - YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,
> PIPING PLOVER, LEAST TERN
> 
> I could be mistaken.  Maybe it's just a scraggly looking house finch.  Here
> is the photo:
> 
> http://flic.kr/p/bVEKY4
> 
> 
> Michael Richardson
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Anthony Zemba [mailto:Anthony.Zemba at gza.com]
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 9:21 PM
> To: 'michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com'
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Stratford & Westport - YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,
> PIPING PLOVER, LEAST TERN
> 
> Pine Grosbeaks? Better check your ID on that one Michael
> 
> 
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Michael Richardson [mailto:michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com]
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 09:16 PM
> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Stratford & Westport - YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERON,
> PIPING PLOVER, LEAST TERN
> 
> 6/9/12 - Stratford, Long Beach - Many PIPING PLOVERs and LEAST TERNs,
> including piping plover chicks, nesting near the shore.  Much of the beach
> is fenced off to provide protection for their nesting areas.  A pair of
> YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT HERONs in the marshes before the entrance.  A pair of
> WILLETs feeding in the bay.
> 
> Stratford, Short Beach - EASTERN KINGBIRD near the golf course.
> 
> Stratford, residential area near the light house, 2 PINE GROSBEAKs flying
> around near the road.
> 
> Westport, Sherwood Island State Park - 3 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS near the
> west beach.  6 GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULLS on the east beach.  Also 2 striped
> skunks (sadly no Great Horned Owls seen).
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Michael Richardson
> 
> Norwalk, CT
> 
> http://www.connecticutwilderness.com <http://www.connecticutwilderness.com/>
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA)
> for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
> For subscription information visit
> http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
> ________________________________
> This electronic message is intended to be viewed only by the individual or
> entity to which it is addressed and may contain privileged and/or
> confidential information intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).
> If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure,
> printing, copying, distribution or use of this information is prohibited. If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and destroy this message and its attachments from your system.
> ________________________________
> For information about GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. and its services, please
> visit our website at www.gza.com<http://www.gza.com/>.
> 
> ________________________________
> This electronic message is intended to be viewed only by the individual or
> entity to which it is addressed and may contain privileged and/or
> confidential information intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s).
> If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure,
> printing, copying, distribution or use of this information is prohibited. If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately and destroy this message and its attachments from your system.
> ________________________________
> For information about GZA GeoEnvironmental, Inc. and its services, please
> visit our website at www.gza.com<http://www.gza.com/>.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 22:06:34 -0400
> From: Michael Richardson <michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com>
> To: <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
> Subject: [CT Birds] ID Help
> Message-ID: <SNT136-ds1490E4A7B3357705F2BA4ACEF00 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Looking for some ID help on this photo:
> 
> 
> 
> http://flic.kr/p/bVFbo2
> 
> 
> 
> Taken today at Long Beach in Stratford.  I looked thru my guides and online,
> but just couldn't come up with a match. 
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 
> 
> Michael Richardson
> 
> Norwalk, CT
> 
> http://www.connecticutwilderness.com <http://www.connecticutwilderness.com/>
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 22:20:00 -0400
> From: Nick Bonomo <nbonomo at gmail.com>
> To: CTBirds <ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org>
> Subject: [CT Birds] Milford Pt White-rumps
> Message-ID:
> 	<CABgXtNe82DMoQATmNxaHFw++O1TRZh3u3+FjCFKjf-Nux4JbJQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> 
>> From Nick Bonomo:
> 6/9 - Milford, Milford Pt -- 15 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS among 150
> Semipalmated Sandpipers at high tide in the afternoon. Also 60 Common Terns
> foraging at the mouth of the Housatonic River.
> 
> Nick Bonomo
> Wallingford, CT
> www.shorebirder.com
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 22:29:11 -0400
> From: Michael Richardson <michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com>
> To: "'Arthur Shippee'" <ashippee at snet.net>
> Cc: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] ID Help
> Message-ID: <SNT136-ds38E17A1019890F589984DCEF00 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> That seems to be the consensus.  Thanks!
> 
> 
> Michael Richardson
> Norwalk, CT 06851
> http://www.connecticutwilderness.com
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Arthur Shippee [mailto:ashippee at snet.net]
> Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 10:24 PM
> To: Michael Richardson
> Subject: Re: [CT Birds] ID Help
> 
> Immature starling, I think.
> 
> (I have missed starlings before, as odd as it sounds.)
> 
> On Jun 9, 2012, at 10:06 PM, Michael Richardson
> <michael_s_richardson at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> Looking for some ID help on this photo:
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> http://flic.kr/p/bVFbo2
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Taken today at Long Beach in Stratford.  I looked thru my guides and 
>> online, but just couldn't come up with a match.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Michael Richardson
>> 
>> Norwalk, CT
>> 
>> http://www.connecticutwilderness.com
>> <http://www.connecticutwilderness.com/>
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association 
>> (COA)
> for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
>> For subscription information visit
>> http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.or
>> g
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 20:58:18 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Roy Harvey <rmharvey at snet.net>
> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Subject: [CT Birds] Hamden: Orchard Oriole Web Brook meadow
> Message-ID:
> 	<1339300698.66119.YahooMailClassic at web81501.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
> 
> Passing this along.
> 
> 
> From Arthur Shippee:
> Some later-day birds, to add to the NHBC Summer Bird Count.  (Our group had
> a great view of a bathing Orchard Oriole just beyond the covered bridge,
> East Rock Park, N.H.)
> 6/9/12 - Hamden, Gordon Rd., near Lake Whitney - Orchard Oriole (singing on
> top of willow, ca. 20 posts in from Waite St.)  RWA property
> 
> 
> Roy Harvey
> Beacon Falls, CT
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:08:03 -0400
> From: Jonah Cohen <jonahc at cox.net>
> To: ctbirds at lists.ctbirding.org
> Subject: [CT Birds] Hartford bird count, 6/9+10
> Message-ID: <20120610110803.ZN2JM.23622.imail at eastrmwml302>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> 
> Nothing super-duper special during the summer count led by Jay Kaplan, but a
> few nice finds.
> 
> 6/9 - at the Hartford Landfill, Jay located a grasshopper sparrow. We also
> found several orchard orioles, bank swallow, willow flycatcher (and a ton of
> savannah sparrow). At the pond near the RR tracks in riverside park, a green
> heron.
> 
> 6/10 - this morning was quieter, but a cedar hill cemetery, we did locate a
> pair of juvenile peregrine falcons.
> 
> Jonah Cohen
> Newington
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA)
> for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
> For subscription information visit
> http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org
> 
> End of CTBirds Digest, Vol 1932, Issue 1
> ****************************************
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> This list is provided by the Connecticut Ornithological Association (COA) for the discussion of birds and birding in Connecticut.
> For subscription information visit http://lists.ctbirding.org/mailman/listinfo/ctbirds_lists.ctbirding.org





More information about the CTBirds mailing list