[CT Birds] 6/12 - Ash Creek, Fairfield

Alex Burdo aburdo10 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:19:53 EDT 2012

Paul Pinto and I birded the entirety of Ash Creek Open Space in Fairfield
for a couple of hours, starting around noon, before the rain really began
to poor down. We put together a nice list of 37 species, including many
confirmed and probable breeders. The biggest highlight for me was locating
a pair of nesting ORCHARD ORIOLES, with the prize for the strangest bird
going to a GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER, seen way out of breeding habitat.

This bird, completely out of breeding habitat (although I have seen them as
migrants here many times), was first spotted by my companion low in the
brush that abuts the picnic area, before flying across the meadow into some
deep brush at the northeast end of the open space. The habitat at this
location is certainly not mature woodland, but rather shrubby riparian
woods. Could this bird be a very, very late migrant, actually attempting to
breed, or maybe just a failed breeding wandering around? Guess we'll never
know for sure, though it is certainly my first June sighting of this
species in Fairfield, south of I-95. Highlights below:

>From Alex Burdo and Paul Pinto:
06/12/12 -- Fairfield, Ash Creek Open Space - 2 ORCHARD ORIOLES (nest
found), 1 MARSH WREN singing in the 'isolated' (from the creek) marsh north
of the open space area, 2 CLAPPER RAIL, 2 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, 2

The full eBird checklist can be seen here:

Alex Burdo