[CT Birds] Sunday and Monday

John Flynn flynnjohn at me.com
Tue Jun 12 16:27:25 EDT 2012

I had a nice past two days and I thought I would share.  Sunday we spent most of the day at Meshomasaic in Glastonbury.  We saw Virginia Rail, Ruffled Grouse, Orchard Oriole and the usual cast of characters.  We found a tree swallow nest a few feet from the ground and the swallow continued to feed her chicks while we were only about five feet away from the nest.  The nesting pair did watch us closely while we were close to the nest along with an Eastern Kingbird. In the evening we went to Laurel Marsh in Manchester and found a Green Heron that I had never seen there before.  Monday we went back to Laurel Marsh and found some of my favorite photography subjects like Scarlet Tanagers, American Redstarts, Blue Winged Warblers, Baltimore and Orchard Orioles, Indigo Buntings and Cedar Waxwings which seem to be here in Connecticut in record numbers.  Of course it could just be where I'm going or perhaps some of the berry crops may not have been as good in some of their normal nesting grounds.  We also saw a brown bird flying that we could not ID, it had a brown body, white underbelly and a white patch where its wings normally lay.  We finished up the day by seeing a turkey roosting only about 15 feet from the ground with a 1-2 week old chick and managed to get some nice photos at least considering the dying light.