[CT Birds] Interesting behaviour - crows and wrens

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Tue Jun 12 22:06:48 EDT 2012

6/12 - New Milford garden:
(1) A couple of days ago about 6 PM, the crows were making in infernal
racket so I looked outside and saw a red fox loping across the top of the lawn,
 pursued by 3 or 4 crows.  It did not seem particularly perturbed but  they
followed it down across the road and up the hill opposite.  He could  not
have been a threat to them or their young, so was this just a game for the
(2)  I have three active House Wrens' nests, two in bluebird boxes,  the
third in an ancient box on the barn.  Babies in all three.  But  there are now
and have been only two males singing, and they sing all the  time from
opposite sides of the garden.  Any time I go near the barn, she  scolds me.  Is
she a wanton woman or do wrens practice polygamy?  I  think the latter
because a couple of years ago, there were two boxes with babies  and only one
By coincidence, today's New York Times in the Science Section profiles two
new books on bird behavior:  "Gifts of the Crow: How Perception, Emotion
and Thought Allow Smart Birds to Behave Like Humans" by John M. Narzluff and
Tony Angell.  (Free Press.  277 pages. $25).  And "Bird  Sense: What It's
Like to Be a Bird" by Tim Birkhead.  (Walker &  Company.  265 pages. $25).
Angela Dimmitt