[CT Birds] Black Skimmer Short Beach Stratford

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Thu Jun 14 00:26:56 EDT 2012

I went to Short Beach after work and found a black skimmer resting on the
beach with about 100 ring-billed gulls (yes, I counted) and a handful of
larger, immature (herring?) gulls.  I was able to get within 50 feet of the
skimmer for photographs and then left it undisturbed.  Subsequently, I found
a half-dozen black-crowned night-herons, a pair or green herons, and a
couple snowies by the inlet.  I witnessed a couple interesting displays of
'tolerance'. First I photographed a wild turkey as it walked along the edge
of the reeds and pass within a yard of a night-heron. Later I saw a snowy
passed within a foot of a pair of mallards in the inlet, the male hissing as
the heron slid by.

Russ Smiley

Marlborough, CT